See what Kelley's up to!

Check out Kelley's Blog to see how her year is going!

October 13, 2012

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain pattering against my window and a huge urge to not get out of bed and definitely not go outside.  But I had to get out of bed because today was my 5K!  I looked at the weather online and it said that we were in the severe zone and that we had a chance of heavy rain, hail, and tornados....yayyyy.  I pulled myself together and stalled walking over to the park until I could no longer stall.  I was pretty wet by the time I got to the check-in.  They handed us a shirt and a free box of cereal which was great.  There weren't that many people there because of the weather, but I liked it.  We started the race at 10 and I RAN THE WHOLE THING!!!  This is really exciting for me because I do not do distance.  Me and distance are not friends.  I listened to my ipod and it helped running with a bunch of other people.  For those who don't know, there's a giant hill in the middle of Iowa City and guess where that giant hill was placed in the course....right in the middle.  I felt great and then I realized I had to run up the hill...ugh.  A girl next to me stopped and commented to her friend "I can't even walk up this hill" hahaha so true.  When I got to the top, I thought I was gonna faint from not being able to  breathe but it was alright.  I just ran super slow for a little bit so that I could catch my breath.  I wore a sweatshirt since it was 55 degrees out but I got hot while running and my sweatshirt turned into a sponge and it weighed so much!  My face was drenched.  Droplets were falling off of my eyelashes and at one point my hair stuck to my face.  My feet were also soaked which helped me in not noticing my feet problems!  I think the weather is the reason I was able to run the whole thing since it wasn't hot and I was more concerned about the wetness than I was about running.  By the end of the race, I was just running through puddles because I just didn't care any more about getting wet hahaha.  I ended up getting 28:55 which is alright with me!  I'm just happy I ran the whole thing!
After the race, I grabbed a water, banana, and bagel from the pavilion we met at and then I walked home.  I was so cold and drenched when I got back!  Maritza took this picture of me haha.  Our room has smelled like wet clothes the whole day because we were both drenched this morning.
I took a shower and then had lunch and then I decided to go to the library and work on homework.  When I got back to my room, I was going to take a nap but then Elle popped in our doorway and we ended up talking with her and then we went to dinner together.  Maritza and I got dressed up to go see a play but when we got there, they only had one ticket left so we bought tickets to see the play on Wednesday and then we went and saw a movie at the IMU.  It was Seeking a Friend for the End of the World which was kind of strange but it was good.  Maritza really liked it.  Then we went back to our room and I did German homework and now I'm going to bed because I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment