See what Kelley's up to!

Check out Kelley's Blog to see how her year is going!

January 13, 2012

Warning: This blog post will probably be lengthy!
Happy Friday the 13th!!!  Yesterday when we were talking about snow days in calc, my math teacher said we wouldn't have a snow day because it was Friday the 13th and boy was he right!!  I woke up in disbelief that there was still school but I guess I was just hoping too much :(  The only bad part of driving was getting out of my driveway hahaha and the road that my school is on refuses to be plowed which is dumb since there are so many teenage drivers that traverse that road!  I mean, seriously!!  Anyway, I was able to get through the day with the expectation of movie night with Collin and Katie!!!  After school I came home and went to tumbling and then we had movie night at my house!  Kelley was supposed to join us but she went to the Walsdorfs' house and those times conflicted so next time she will have to join us!  Now, story time begins!
First off, let me tell you how hard it was to take a picture!  We could not get a good one for the life of us and we're still not happy.  For one, I, for some unknown reason, am fifteen feet away from Collin in this picture even though I felt that I was right next to him when it was taken...Anyway, here are some of the other ones we took:
                                                                                                           
  I don't think I need to explain why the first one is bad... The second one, we can't figure out what is going on with Katie's hair and Collin says he has women legs hahaha, in the third one, Collin tried not to have women legs so now he looks awkward and Katie thought she looked like she was pooping :)  And the fourth one, we were laughing hysterically...

We watched the movie Departures which I will talk about in a second, but since the movie is in Japanese, I wanted the bamboo plant in the picture to get the feel of the setting :)

Now I will tell you about the best day of my life...and when I say that, I'm not over exaggerating, I literally mean the best day of my life.  When I was a sophomore, Herr Brill told me about the foreign film festival that our movie theater puts on and he told me that there was a German movie playing that I should go see.  I thought it sounded interesting so I asked Katie and Collin if they wanted to come with since they were also in German.  We ended up spending a whole day together that consisted of some type of music thing at school, Borders/Wendy's, and then the movie.  Before we went to the movie, I tried to look it up online but I couldn't really find any information about it and I didn't know what it was called so we decided to show up and just see what was playing (I did end up finding one German movie that was about an hour long but I wasn't sure if it was playing).  When we went to the ticket counter to ask about a German movie, the ticket lady said they weren't playing any German movies but there was a Japanese one that we could watch.  We laughed because we thought it was funny and then we bought the tickets because we were there to see a movie and that was the one that was playing.  Then we realized we had to see how long it was since this was back in the day when we had to be driven places.  The lady then told us that it was freaking TWO AND A HALF hours long.  That was double the movie I looked up online.  I remember crying from laughing so hard at the fact that we just bought tickets to see a two hour Japanese movie.  Since we already bought the tickets, we decided to watch it so we went inside.  The theater was filled with people whose average age, not joking, was 80.  We were the youngest people in there by fifty years which made the situation even better.  When we looked behind us, all we saw was graying hair and glasses.  Then, to top it off, before the movie started, a man walked to the front of the theater and told us at the end of the movie we were going to discuss what we saw and Collin, Katie, and I started freaking out but then the guy said that that would happen at the cafe near by.  Long story short, the movie we saw, Departures, ended up being the best movie ever created by man.  It was so touching and beautiful and life changing that buying those tickets was the best decision I ever made :)  It has also been a moment the three of us has bonded over since :)  You don't even feel like it's two hours long and by the end, you don't even realize it's in a different language.
I asked for the movie for Christmas and the three of us decided to get to together and watch it again.  It was just as great the second time but I feel like our experience from the first time makes it that much better.
Here's the movie:


If you are ever in the mood for a movie that makes you laugh and cry and contemplate the meaning of death and forgivness, then you should definitely see it!  It also has the best cello music ever created!  And it has won the best foreign film award...I could go on forever about it...
Hope you had as great as a Friday the 13th as I did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment