See what Kelley's up to!

Check out Kelley's Blog to see how her year is going!

September 7, 2012

 Today was the greatest day of my life.  I woke up to a text from Dad and then we proceeded to have this conversation:

Hahaha I love us.  After this, I took a shower and then studied for my German test!  For those who don't know, I took four years of German in high school but didn't really learn that much, and so today was my first official German test of my life!  I felt like it went really well because I'm learning the basics all over again and I feel like I actually understand it this time!  The whole class was dedicated to the test so when we were done, we got to leave so I got out 20 minutes early!  I decided to sit on a bench in between that class and my science class since I had extra time and it was so crazy watching everybody.  The town was going crazy because Obama was here today.  There were so many people wearing Iowa and Obama shirts and they were all flocking towards the Pentacrest.
When it was time for me to go to my class, I went.  A lot of people weren't there because the doors for Obama opened at 1 and my class ran from 1:30 - 2:20 but there were still a lot of people there at the same time haha.  My day continued to get better as me and my friend in that class got all our clicker questions right!!  In the middle of my teacher's powerpoints, he has random questions that we have to answer with a clicker thing and then it gets recorded as a grade.  On Wednesday, we only got one out of four right but today we got all of them right!!!  I think there were 6!  It made me so happy haha.
After class, I headed back to my room and grabbed some things and then went to wait in line for Obama!  The line stretched very very far and it went all the way to the front of my residence hall!  But it moved quickly.  I got in line around 3ish and probably got in the main area around 3:30ish.  We had to go through security which was awkward and then I saw Megan with some people so I decided to stay with them for the thing.  Maritza had a physical to go to so she was going to meet me there later but when the time came to meet up, the crowd was too dense and she couldn't find me and she didn't want to stay if she couldn't see anything so she just left.
We were all crowded on the lawn of the Pentacrest and we weren't that far away but it was hard to see the stage because of all the heads.  If I stood on my tippy toes I could see things but I couldn't do that for very long haha.  There were singers and everything to entertain us since he wasn't supposed to speak until 5:20.  At one point, they got us all excited by having a person give a speech, reciting the pledge, and singing the national anthem.  The people who sang the national anthem was an a Capella group...the same one I watched a couple days ago and I knew a guy in the group because he was my OnIowa leader...so I took a picture of them:

This picture is more accurate at how far away I was.  Then after they got us all excited thinking it was about to start....we had to wait another 40 minutes because Obama was late to his own party and didn't start speaking until 5:40.  It also rained while we were waiting...like legit raining not just drizzling.  We weren't allowed to bring umbrellas so I just stood there in my hoodie but it was all good.
Biden came out and spoke first so here's a picture of him:

He introduced Obama and when Obama walked out and everybody started cheering I got super overwhelmed and almost started crying haha...don't make fun of me.  It was just a very awesome moment.
Here's him walking out...it's a very typical pose:

And here is our el presidento speaking:

It was really hard to take pictures of him because people's hands would shoot into the air and then all of a sudden I was taking pictures of hands and not him.  In the beginning of his speech, every single pair of hands were in the air and it was so hard to see.
A guy had his like three year old daughter on his shoulders and this short lady that was standing by me shouted "take the girl down" hahaha it was really funny.
The speech was really great and it gave me goosies and it was also funny.  It was fun to cheer and listen to the people that got into it haha there were people yelling "that's right" every so often and the whole thing just made me really happy.
After he was done speaking, the wifeys came out and that's when I took the POD.  I actually took that picture by accident...I just kind of threw my camera up into the air and hoped for the best...and I got a pretty great picture!!!
After that, I ate dinner with Megan and then I went back to my room!  At 8 o'clock we had a meeting for the literary magazine to be readers of the submissions.  When the meeting was over, I had a skype date with Kelley that lasted until about 1 and then I went to bed!  Yay!

1 comment:

  1. I totally would have cried! You are so lucky to have gone!!

    ReplyDelete