See what Kelley's up to!

Check out Kelley's Blog to see how her year is going!

March 30, 2012

Let's play a game called make believe.  Let's make believe that I wrote this blog post yesterday ;)  I was so tired when I came home last night that I didn't feel like writing this!
Anyway, today I went to Chicago to visit Kyle.  The point of this trip was to celebrate my birthday.  I know my birthday was almost two months ago but I was always busy on weekends and since it is spring break, we decided it would be best to do it now.  So after sleeping a half hour longer than I wanted, I took a train into the city that arrived at the station closest to Kyle's apartment at around 11ish.  Then we walked to Myopic Books which I went to the last time I visited him in the city.  This place is PACKED with books!!  There is only room for one person to walk down the aisles and the floorboards creak and on the upper floors you feel like you're about to fall through the floor!  Everything feels slapped together but you are SURROUNDED by books EVERYWHERE!!  If you haven't gotten the message from my capitalized words, there are a lot of books there.  Here's a picture:


This is only a small fraction of the store.  After the bookstore, we went to Kyle's apartment then made a few stops and then went to a comic book store!  Then we went to lunch at Irazu which is a Costa Rican restaurant!  The food was delicious but we both got really full so we had to take it home.  After that, we walked/bussed/subwayed our way across town to the Field Museum.  I don't think I've ever been to the Field Museum before so this was really exciting for me!!  Here is the building:


After we got there, we didn't know if we actually wanted to go in because it was 4 o'clock and it was supposed to close at 5 and the tickets were expensive.  When we asked the lady about stuff, she told us that students and Chicagoans get a discount and that the museum was open for an extra hour today!  So we decided to go in!  Yay for learning information that wasn't on their website!!!  Here is Sue:


Yay!  I can't believe I've lived about two hours away from this thing and have never seen it (I think).  If I have, I don't remember.  Kyle and I just walked around for two hours.  We saw all the taxidermic animals which were so cute and lifelike it was crazay!!!  We noticed that all the settings were about 100 years old!  Holy!!!  Kyle was really bummed cause the bird exhibit was under construction and he said that was his favorite part.  We got semi-lost in a tomb because it took us upstairs and then way downstairs and we just wanted to get out.  And then we weren't allowed to go on the upper level of the museum because it was about to close so we looked at some nasty bugs and then left haha :)  We decided to stop at Trader Joe's on the way back to his apartment becuase we wanted to balance out our humongous lunch with a fruit salad for dinner so we bought fruit.  Then we walked/bussed/subwayed ourselves back to his apartment and he packed and cut up fruit and then we were on our way back to the train station!!!  He decided to come home with me for the weekend so I was not alone on the train ride back.  We also ate the fruit on the train.  That was pretty much it!!  It was a fun day!  Yay!  Oh wait!  I forgot that on the way back from the museum, we saw this awesome sculpture somewhere in the city and I decided to take a picture for my POD.  It's like headless people and it's super cool.  There were some really dense parts which were full of bodies!! 

2 comments:

  1. I saw those legs the other day too! Do you know what the point of those are? Because I never got to the sign to look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I didn't read the sign either but I think it's just another sculpture. Kyle said it made him feel like he was a little kid again walking in a crowd of giant people so maybe that was the point?

      Delete